Solid State Drives (SSDs) are becoming cheaper and faster. At CES I saw the Samsung 470 Series SSD, and now we have one for review, so read on.
Here is how Samsung describe the 470 Series SSDs:
- Extremely Fast Performance
- Spend more time doing and less time waiting. Samsung Solid State Drives access data a lot faster than standard hard drives. This means less time for a computer to boot up or programs to launch. Data is available much quicker and overall response time is significantly improved. Samsung SSD drives have industry-leading performance of up to 250MB/sec sequential read speed and 220MB/sec sequential write speed which leads to computers booting up in as little as 15 seconds and programs opening up in seconds.
- Distinctive Brushed Metal Design
- Samsung’s Solid State Drive design has a look to match its performance. The sturdy brushed metal hard shell case protects from shock, dust and corrosion. Since there are no moving parts inside the drive, there is a greater reliability to protect data. And with a light 2.4oz weight, it makes laptops lighter to carry.
- Outstanding Efficiency
- A Samsung SSD drive has no moving parts so it uses two-thirds less power than a typical hard drive. This adds an average of 30 minutes to a laptop’s battery or decreases the amount of electricity needed to run a hard drive on a desktop computer.
There are three variants of the 470 Series SSDs – a 64GB, 128GB and a 256GB, For this review we had the 128GB model.
- 2.5″ Form Factor
- Up to 220MB/s Write Speed
- Up to 250MB/s Read Speed
- Up to 3Gbps Data Transfer Rate
- Active Power Use: 0.24W
- Idle Power Use: 0.14W
- Reliability (Hours): 1.5 Million
- Three Year Warranty
What’s in the Box?
Apart from the Series 470 SSD itself, there is a manual and a card.
Using the SSD with Windows 7
Running the Windows Experience Index provided a 7.7 for the primary hard disk, which was great!
Here are the results of the Read test:
And here are the results of the Write test:
I think you will agree they are some pretty impressive results.