As previously announced, owners of the EX470/475 MediaSmart Servers can now download two new applications for their Servers. The online backup application allows customers to designate specific shared folders on their Server for secure upload to the Amazon S3 service. Doing so provides an additional layer of data protection for the most important photos, documents and other files on your Windows Home Server.
In addition, customers in mixed PC/Mac households can download an application allowing their EX470/475 MediaSmart Servers to backup their Macs running Time Machine.
The most reliable way to get one or both of these updates for EX470/475 owners is as follows:
2) On the hp.com home page go to the bottom right hand corner where it says “Software & Driver Downloads” and click the link
3) In the text box enter in either EX470 or EX475 and then press the “Enter” key on the keyboard
4) Choose “Server 2003” to locate both packages -customers have the option to download one or both applications
5) Installation instructions are available for both applications by clicking the “view directions” link
Please note that both of these applications are already included on the current generation MediaSmart Server products (LX195, EX485, EX487) and do not need to be downloaded.
To Install the Mac Backup Client Software
Note: 1.3 revision 1 must be installed on your HP MediaSmart Server. You can verify the version from a a Windows computer by double-clicking the Windows Home Server icon in the system tray and logging on. Click Settings in the upper right corner of the Console. Click HP MediaSmart Server in the left menu of the Settings dialog. Select the Support tab and verify the Software Version is 188.8.131.5255.
Note: You must have administrative privileges on your Mac computer to install the software. Click System Preferences, Accounts, and check Allow user to administer this computer.
1. Create a Mac share on the server. On a Windows computer, double-click the Windows Home Server icon in the system tray and log on. Click Shared Folders and add a share called “Mac”.
2. Download the MacBackupClient.exe package and place it on your Windows desktop.
3. Double-click the MacBackupClient.exe. The HP MSS Client.dmg file is extracted to the same location as the downloaded executable file.
4. Copy the HP MSS Client.dmg to your Mac.
5. Double-click HP MSS Client.dmg.
6. Double-click the Install HP MediaSmart Server Software.pkg and follow the instructions on your screen.
7. The Settings dialog opens after the installation is complete. Type the server name and the server’s administrator password so that the Mac software can access your Server.
8. Once your credentials have been authenticated, click Apply to save the server name and password.
9. Click BackUp to set your backup preferences or click Show All to go to the Control Center.
10. You will need to manually create a Mac shared folder on your Windows Home Server, from the WHS Console.
For more information on backing up your Mac with Time Machine, click here.
To Install the HP Online Backup Add-in
1. Download the HPOnlineBackupAddin.exe and place it on your desktop.
2. Double-click the HPOnlineBackupAddin.exe. The HP MediaSmart Server Online Backup.msi file is extracted to the same location as the downloaded executable file.
3. Save the HP MediaSmart Server Online Backup.msi add-in to the \\Server\Software\Add-Ins folder on your home server.
4. Double-click the Windows Home Server icon in the system tray and log on.
5. Click Settings in the upper right corner of the Console.
6. Click Add-ins in the left menu of the Settings dialog.
7. Click the Available tab.
8. Click Install to install the HP MediaSmart Server Online Backup add-in.
9. Click OK on the Installation succeeded dialog box to restart the console.
You will see a new tab called HP Online Backup.