In Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty you play as Abe, a former meat factory slave, as you try to survive and rescue your species from becoming tasty treats!
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty is a fun, silly, and quirky game with a dark twist. It’s a full remake of the 1997 PlayStation classic Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. Originally it was released in 2014; however, the Nintendo Switch port was released October 27, 2020. While this game isn’t particularly “new” it’s still tasty!
Abe was just your average Mudokon floor-waxer working at RuptureFarms until one day he overhears plans for a new tasty treat that would save RuptureFarm’s failing business. Little did he know he was the main ingredient! Abe decides to flee his awful fate and sets off on a mysterious adventure. But just escaping isn’t enough – Abe has to save his fellow Mudokons, and in doing so he might just be able to save his life.
In this 2.5D cinematic platformer, you play as Abe as you try to solve complex puzzles in order to survive. Abe has the ability to possess and control specific enemies which can quickly give you the advantage and help you get past many obstacles. “Gamespeak” is a unique feature of the game which allows Abe to communicate and command other Mudokons in order to save them. There are two game endings that are based on how many Mudokons Abe can save – so be careful you don’t kill your pals or they’ll remember you in the afterlife!
The controls are a bit wonky and can take some time to get used to; if you don’t master them, they can potentially cost Abe his life. With that being said, a lot of this game is trial and error, so don’t be afraid to make a few mistakes! There are also a fair number of hints and guides to help Abe on his journey.
New ‘n’ Tasty has three game modes, each offering a decent challenge, while hard-mode is based on the original Oddworld game. It’s mainly single-player, but it also offers a co-op mode where you can share with a friend. This game is simple enough for a casual gamer to pick up yet still challenging enough for our veteran gamers.
New ‘n’ Tasty is not only fun, silly, and quirky, but it also has an eerie dark feeling to it. Even with gruesome blood-soaked deaths and an unsettling environment, the characters are quite lovable; I particularly loved the snarky dialogue, silly interactions, and crude humor. The game’s unique contrast between dark and humorous is what makes it so charming.
- No matter what difficulty setting you choose this game still offers a fun challenging experience.
- There’s a Quick-save option – which is honestly a lifesaver. You can utilize this feature so you don’t have to go back to the checkpoint every time you die.
- New ‘n’ Tasty is available on many different platforms such as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, iOS, Android, Steam, etc. So if you don’t have a Switch you can still pick it up for a different platform.
- The font used for hints and the captions are very thin and a bit hard to read.
- The controls can feel a little wonky, and they’re easy to forget if you put the game down for a few days.
- There are many changes and new additions to this version, so old-time fans of the series may not enjoy it as much. With that said, it’s an easy way for newer fans to get introduced to a classic series.
This game was a highly entertaining experience; if you like platformers or strategy puzzle games I highly recommend you pick up this tasty treat!
Replay value: 5/10
Kid Friendly: Yes (Teen rating)
|Released:||October 27, 2020 (Nintendo Switch)|