Today saw the release of the PS Vita, and there is already a firmware update available.
An update to the PS Vita system software was released on 21 February 2012. If you update your PS Vita system, the system software version will be 1.61 and the following features will be updated.
A PS Vita system software update is required to use PlayStation Network features and some features on the system. Also, downloading and installing the PS Vita system software update will update your PS Vita system’s operating system to include the latest security patches, as well as new and revised applications, features and settings. It is recommended that you always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.
Main features in system software update version 1.61
- System software stability during use of some features has been improved.
By installing PS Vita system software to version 1.61, new features released as part of system software 1.60 will be updated.
Main features in system software update version 1.60
- The lighting pattern of the PS button has been changed to light up blue when the system is on.
- The PS Vita system now automatically starts up in a safe mode the first time you turn it on after the system was turned off by pressing and holding the power button for 30 seconds. This approach for turning the power off is used when you cannot turn the system off using the normal steps, or when the system does not operate correctly.
Safe mode is a start-up mode for your PS Vita system, in which only a few system functions are available for solving problems. When the system starts up in safe mode, follow the on-screen instructions.
- A new application, Maps, has been added. The icon for the application is on the home screen.
- You can now take videos in Photos.
- In Settings, the position where [Flight Mode] appears has changed.
You can adjust the flight mode setting under Settings > [Start] > [Flight Mode].
- You can now publish stories about the products that you rate in PS Store to Facebook®.
You must first tap the checkbox [Publish Rating Stories] under Settings > [Start] > [PlayStation®Network] > [Facebook] to set a checkmark.
- In near, players’ information is now displayed on the [Discoveries] screen.
On this screen, a list of the online IDs of up to 100 players that you have encountered, and the number of times that you encountered each player, are displayed. Tap an online ID to display that player’s profile screen.
- You can now report inappropriate messages in Group Messaging and inappropriate comments about an activity.
To report inappropriate messages or comments, tap [Grief Report] under [Options] on the screen that shows entire messages or the screen that lists comments for activities.
- You can now delete back-up files in Content Manager.
- The Mac OS version of Content Manager Assistant for PlayStation® has been released. The Windows® version has also been updated.
- “PlayStation®Network account” has been renamed to “Sony Entertainment Network account”.
Have you got a PS Vita yet? Tell us what you think of it!