Here is what TomTom said:
London, October 21, 2011 – TomTom today released the TomTom App for iPhone 1.9 which has been optimised for the iPad. Existing TomTom App customers can download the new version to their iPads for free.
TomTom has optimised the App for iPad, creating a higher resolution for a sharper display and an enhanced user interface to fit the larger screen. The new release is also compatible with Apple’s brand new iOS5.
“This new release – now officially called ‘TomTom App for iPhone/iPad’ – is a logical next step for us”, says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director Consumer at TomTom. “Our customers asked us for iPad features, and now they have them. We have enhanced everything the iPad user sees and interacts with on the touch-screen.”
The TomTom App for iPhone/iPad 1.9 comes with a new map release – a benefit to users of both Apple devices. The new map includes updated roads, more accurate information about fixed speed camera locations and points of interest.
With this new release, TomTom has made use of the extra iPad screen space. The full-screen display shows both driving view and advanced lane guidance at the same time. Drivers can also switch to driving view with one touch from anywhere within the app, and can access guidance options in a tap.
Customers also get HD Traffic as an added extra via in-App purchase. For existing TomTom HD Traffic and Speed Cameras subscription owners, drivers can simply switch subscriptions from their iPhones to their iPads, at no cost. That means all the navigation features from TomTom can now be enjoyed on iPad*.
Availability and pricing
TomTom App for iPhone/iPad 1.9 is available now, priced £49.99 for UK/Republic of Ireland maps. Existing TomTom App for iPhone customers can download the new version of the App to their iPad for free.
Other reasons to download the TomTom App for iPhone/iPad:
* TomTom HD Traffic – the quickest way through the traffic, proven
* Save money and drive safely with real-time mobile and fixed camera alerts via TomTom Speed Cameras
* The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan
* Correct your map and get others’ changes every day via Map Share
* Arrival times you can rely on – at all times of day – with IQ Routes
* Seamless navigation while calling, thanks to iOS5 multitasking support
* Seamless integration with your iPhone contacts, photos, music, email and calendar
* Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, Yoda, and C3PO navigation voices available as an in-app purchase.
* HD Traffic and Speed Cameras are compatible with iPhone 3G/3GS/4, iPad WiFi + 3G models
I’ve updated my iPhone app (and already used it this morning) and am installing it on the iPad as I write this.
Have you used it? What do you think of it?