Here we take a look at a USB to IDE or SATA standalone hard drive duplicator and docking station from StarTech – the UNIDUPDOCK.
Here is how StarTech describe the UNIDUPDOCK:
The UNIDUPDOCK Universal SATA/IDE Dual Hard Drive Duplicator functions as both a convenient solid state (SSD) or hard drive (HDD) copying/imaging solution or an external SATA/IDE SSD or HDD docking station for 2.5in or 3.5in drives (SATA, SATA II, SATA III).
Providing quick, yet complete hard drive cloning functionality, this universal dock can operate as a standalone HDD duplicator with no connection to a host computer, delivering an exact 1 to 1 clone of the target hard drive including partition and boot sector information, the Host Protected Area (HPA) as well as user data at a copy rate of 72 MB/sec. A built in LCD screen then allows for tracking the duplication progress , as well as reporting errors on the drives.
Supporting both IDE and SATA, this universal duplicator dock enables duplication from SATA to SATA, IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE, and IDE to IDE, as long as the source drive does not exceed the size of the destination drive. Or the docking station can even be used to quickly erase hard drives, for reuse in the future.
Functioning as a universal IDE and SATA HDD docking station, the hard drive duplicator can be connected to a computer through USB with support for simple plug-and-play installation, allowing users to access hard drive contents without having to mount in an external drive enclosure or open the computer case for conventional drive installation.
Contained in a small form factor design that makes it a suitable addition to desktop and laptop operating environments, this hard drive duplicator/external HDD docking station is a versatile storage and hard drive cloning utility that also features a host of other built in utilities that are accessible via a built in menu system.
• Sector-by-Sector drive duplication, including the HPA
• Integrated LCD display for duplication progress and options menu
• Compatible with both SATA (1.5/3.0/6.0 Gbps) and IDE (66/100/133 Mbps) drives
• Supports 2.5in or 3.5in form factor hard drives (HDD) or solid state drives (SSD)
• Built-in quick drive erase function
• Additional independent support functions: drive comparisons, pre-scanning drives and hardware self-diagnosis
• Manually switchable between Duplicator and Docking Station modes.
• Built in RAID 0, 1, and BIG functionality
• Built-in protection against drive short circuiting
• High-speed USB 2.0 host interface, with support for transfer rates up to 480Mbps
• Package includes two 40pin to 44pin (3.5in to 2.5in)IDE adapters for mobile hard drive compatibility
Who Are StarTech?
According to their website:
StarTech.com is your one-stop source for every connectivity part you need. From the latest technology to legacy products — and all the parts that bridge the old and new — we can help you find the parts that connect your solutions.
We make it easy to locate the parts, and we quickly deliver them wherever they need to go. Just talk to one of our tech advisors or visit our website. You’ll be connected to the products you need in no time.
It was StarTech.com’s 25th anniversary in 2010, and to celebrate we developed a fresh new look for the company that we hope you will like!
• Warranty: 1 Year warranty
• Color: Black
• Product Height: 1.06 in [27 mm]
• Input Voltage: 115 ~ 230 AC
• Product Length: 5.94 in [151 mm]
• Carton Quantity: 32
• Shipping (Package) Weight: 2.3 lb [1.04 kg]
• Product Weight: 8.3 oz [235 g]
• Product Width: 4.33 in [110 mm]
• Enclosure Type: Plastic
• Number of Drives: 2
• Compatible Drives : 2.5″ SATA
• Compatible Drives : 3.5″ SATA
• Compatible Drives : 2.5″ EIDE
• Compatible Drives : 3.5″ EIDE
• Chipset ID: ACARD – ARC286
• Insertion Rating: 15,000 Cycles
• Supported RAID Modes: BIG (Spanning or Concatenation)
• Supported RAID Modes: JBOD – (Just a Bunch of Disks)
• Supported RAID Modes: RAID 0 (Striped Disks)
• Supported RAID Modes: RAID 1 (Mirrored Disks)
• Host Connectors: 1 – USB B Female
• Drive Connectors: 2 – 15 pin SATA Power Female
• Drive Connectors: 2 – 7 pin eSATA DATA Female
• Drive Connectors: 2 – 40 pin IDC Male
• Drive Connectors: 2 – 4 pin Power (LP4) Male
• Type and Rate: USB 2.0 – 480 Mbit/s
• Power Adapter Included: Yes
• Output Voltage: 12/5 DC
• Output Current: 3000mA
• Operating Temperature: 5°C to 80°C (41°F to 176°F)
• Humidity: 90% RH
• Storage Temperature: -40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F)
• OS Compatibility: Windows 2000/ XP(32/64bit)/ Server 2003(32/64bit)/ Vista(32/64bit)/ 7(32/64bit)/ Server 2008 R2, Linux, and MAC OS X and up