James over at the Tenniswood blog had a problem trying to install the Zune software on his Windows Home Server Code Name Vail, until he came across a work around.
Here is what James said:
I came across a problem installing the Zune Software on my home server, as it doesn’t support server operating systems like Windows Home Server VAIL. After hunting around I finally pick up this tip for routing around the microsoft restrictions imposed by the installer app.
- Download the software.
- Login to the computer with the local administrator account.
- Change the .exe extension to .zip, then upzip the file.
- Browse to the \packages folder.
- Right-Click on Zune-x64.msi and click Install
- Follow the prompts like a regular install of the software.
Nice one James!