Samsung Electronics UK today announced the newest devices in its SmartThings range of products. First is a new SmartThings Hub and sensors connect simply and intuitively to the Samsung SmartThings platform, enabling beginners and experts alike to realise their smart home vision.
The improvements to the new range of SmartThings devices have been inspired by the feedback from consumers since SmartThings launched in the UK in 2015, The overall design of the hub and each sensor has been improved to blend in with the style of your home, and includes a range of new features to make entering the Smart Home market more accessible than ever.
“As more people embrace a connected lifestyle, we’re focused on creating an experience that makes smart living simple, accessible and intelligent” said Conor Pierce, Vice President of Mobile, Samsung UK & Ireland. “With SmartThings, we’re delivering an open platform that seamlessly brings together connected devices and sensors to give our consumers peace of mind and make their lives easier, not more complicated.”
With its new wireless solution, the SmartThings Hub can now be placed anywhere in the home – giving you the flexibility to find the optimum spot without impacting your décor. All smart devices within the home can be controlled through the one SmartThings app, which is available on both Android and iOS, plus Samsung Smart TV’s and Family Hub refrigeration range.
With an open platform, SmartThings works with the biggest range of smart home brands – simply look for the ‘works with SmartThings’ logo. It will even connect with all voice assistants, whether you prefer Samsung Bixby, Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant you can tailor your smart home to you.
The newly improved SmartThings Hub also allows you to:
- Receive alerts and notifications from connected devices wherever you are when something unexpected happens in your home.
- You will know just in an instant if there is a leak or intrusion, and even better you will never have to worry about leaving anything on accidently like your oven, iron or hair straighteners
- Manage connected devices in your home with SmartThings scenes for Good Morning, Goodbye and Good Night. For example, with a single tap to the Good Night scene on your app, you can arm your security alarm, lock the doors, turn off the TV and lights, activate motion sensors and link them to your security camera to start recording, change the temperature, and have a peaceful sleep knowing SmartThings is protecting your home.
- Use Automations which can control devices and run scenes whenever certain conditions are met. Automate connected devices in your home and set them to turn on or off when doors are opened, as people come and go, and much more.
- Control connected devices in your home with voice commands using SmartThings and Samsung Bixby, Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
The sensor opens up a world of possibilities, putting you in control of the things you want to monitor in your home. Consisting of two independent pieces, it works by alerting if you if one sensor is moved away from the other. You no longer have to worry if you’ve left your doors or windows open when you’re not home, and even removes the pain of fumbling for the light switch as you can set connected lights to turn on and off as you open doors, windows and even cupboards.
Take your home security to the next level with the new Motion Sensor, which lets you know if there’s any movement in your home. The sensor can be placed in the most challenging of areas thanks to a magnetic ball mount, and allows you to adjust the sensor angle up to 120 degrees to detect motion in its field of view.
After you’ve established a routine with the sensor you can set connected devices to turn on and off as you come and go.
Water Leak Sensor
The sensor will monitor for any moisture and let you know when a leak is detected, but most importantly turn off connected devices when it is, whether it’s your dishwasher or washing machine.
Samsung also announces a new addition to the SmartThings range, the Button, which allows you to control lights, electronics, small appliances and monitor temperature at the touch of a button. You can customise actions with a single or double tap, or long press to set multiple lights, electronics, and small appliances to turn on and off.
Prices for the new range are yet to be revealed