If you want a single device that prints, copies, scans and even faxes (yes faxes) then here is our review of the HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.
- Automatic two-sided printing, plus two-sided scanning copying and faxing
- Print from the office or on the go via your smartphone, tablet or notebook.
- Get more done with a range of productivity-enhancing business tools
- High capacity XL cartridges print up to 2,300 pages black and 1,500 pages colour
- Up to 30000 pages duty cycle (monthly)
- Get the job done fast with print speeds of up to 21 ppm black, 16.5 ppm colour
- Create double-sided flyers, borderless photos, impressive leaflets and other marketing materials
- Print with just a touch from your NFC-enabled smartphone or tablet.
- Print wirelessly from your mobile device – no router or access to local network needed.
- Share high-productivity print tools across the office with 10/100 Ethernet connectivity
- Tap and swipe the large touchscreen to access time-saving apps and manage print, copy, scan and fax tasks
- Scan to email, network folders, and the cloud – LDAP directory lookup locates your email destination.
- Handle high volume print jobs with confidence – up to 30,000-page monthly duty cycle
There are a lot of specs for this device, and rather than reproducing them here, if you want to see them take a look at the specs page on the HP website.
What’s in the Box?
The box contains the printer, a duplex unit, manual and driver CD, power cable, telephone cable and a set of starter ink cartridges.
A Closer Look
Setting up the 8620
When you first power on the printer the colour display shows each step you need to take, for example, installing the two-sides printing accessory.
Each step gives you clear instructions and images, and you follow them and press Next when you are ready.
Adding the four starter cartridges was very simple.
Test prints are produced so that you can see that the printer is ready to go.
Using the 8620
Once all the initial configuration has been completed, the printer is ready to use. There are some built-in apps on the printer that you might find useful and interesting. Everything can be accessed via the touch screen so have a look at the various options and get familiar with it.
You can install install the software on your computer. It’s very straightforward and only takes a few minutes – again you just follow the steps.
You can also configure the printer so that you can print to it via the web. Again this is very easy.
You can access all the functions from the installed software – just click on what you want to do.
The 8620 does everything – you can scan, you can copy, you can print black and white or colour, you can print double-sided, you can print to it from the web or from mobile devices, you can use NFC to print and it even has fax capabilities. Yes, I said it earlier and I will say it again, it can send and receive faxes! If you want an all-in-one device for a home or small office then this one does it all.
The first thing you notice when you take it out of the box is that it is big – very big, and it is also rather heavy, so make sure you position it just where you want it.
Putting the printer together and performing the initial configuration was relatively quick – the clear instructions on the built-in touchscreen really made it easy.
Installing the software onto my computer was also easy and it gave me all the options I wanted, plus a few I didn’t know I needed!
The printer itself is fairly quiet and it prints very quickly, that goes for both black and white and also colour. The paper tray can hold a lot of paper so there won’t be a need to constantly fill it up with paper, and double-sided printing is a great addition for any ink jet printer.
Talking of ink-jet printers, this one comes with a set of starter cartridges so you can print out of the box but you will want to buy some replacements ones fairly quickly. The software has the option to order cartridges but as usual look around for the best deal on cartridges. I would recommend sticking with “proper” HP cartridges though.
Scanning was very simple and quick, it did everything I wanted at the push of a button. You can even configure the printer to scan and email you the results if that’s what you want.
I really liked the ability to print from a variety of sources, the one I used the most during the review was from the app on my iPhone as I had a number of photos I wanted to print and it was easier and quicker than emailing the pictures or copying them over and then printing.
Overall I really liked the HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 – it did everything I wanted and needed without the fuss. I am looking forward to the day when I need to send a fax!