The Plex application allows you to use your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to browse and play your media (video, photos and music) using the Plex Media Server installed on your Mac or PC. The latest version, v2.3.1, has just been released in the App Store.
Plex for iOS brings the power of Plex to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. With Plex, you can stream your music, videos and photos from your home computers running Plex Media Server (available from http://www.plexapp.com/) and access content from a wide range of channels. Channels are available for apps like Aperture, iTunes and iPhoto, or online services like YouTube, Vimeo and Revision3. There’s also a remote control feature for Plex Media Center.
Additionally, you can sign up for the myPlex service, which lets you connect to servers shared with you by your friends, queue videos from your web browser to watch later, and connect to your Plex Media Server at home wherever you are in the world via Wi-Fi or a celluar connection, with no configuration necessary!
Plex Media Server streams your media directly from your computer, so there’s no need to convert before viewing. Plex is smart, too – if your media isn’t already in a format your device can play, it’ll convert it on-the-fly.
• DRM-protected content (TV shows, movies and older music tracks from the iTunes store) is not supported.
• ISO images are not supported.
• VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
• PGS subtitles are not supported.
• Audio formats iOS can’t play natively (e.g. FLAC) are not supported.
What’s New in Version 2.3.1
– FIX: Immediate crash on startup when logged in to myPlex without any unwatched queue items.
– FIX: Occasional crash when stopping playback.
– FIX: Strange UI behavior when running low on memory.
– FIX: TV Out is supported for older cables again.
– FIX: Playback events are no longer sent to shared servers.
– FIX: Stopping video playback is much faster, especially over remote connections.
– FIX: Image caching works again.
– UPDATED: Localizations for Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian.
– UPDATED: Removed automatic video quality selection.
– NEW: Allowed selecting an additional video quality for cellular connections in addition to the required 64Kbps stream (requires Plex Media Server 0.9.6.1 or later).
The cost for the app is £2.99.Download from the Apple App Store