Today Western Digital announced some new services for it’s WD TV customers, along with a new remote app.
Here is the press release:
Western Digital (NYSE: WDC), the world’s leader in external storage solutions and maker of the acclaimed WD TV® media player family, has added a new WD® TV Remote™ app improving the navigation experience for the WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub users by turning their iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ compatible mobile devices into an advanced feature remote control for their WD TV. The WD TV Remote advanced features allow users to more easily navigate the wide variety of digital media WD TV users enjoy on their television, from leading entertainment services to personal video, photos or music.
WD has also announced the streaming movie service VUDU, as well as several other new sports and entertainment services to the WD TV Live™ and WD TV Live Hub™ media players. These new services complement the current content offerings from Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, Blockbuster®, CinemaNow®, Spotify™, Pandora®, YouTube®, Facebook® and many others. In addition to VUDU, the new services include SnagFilms, XOS College Sports, SEC Digital Network, Comedy Time and Watch Mojo.
Improved Navigation with WD TV Remote
The new WD TV Remote app improves the navigation experience for WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub users, providing all the features of the standard WD TV remote control along with several advanced features, including a gesture pad to help navigate menu screens and services with intuitive touch gestures, as well as QWERTY keyboard support for text entry and search functionality. A favourites screen provides quick access to entertainment services on the WD TV. WD TV Remote connects over the home wireless network and can work with multiple WD TV media players in the home. Additionally, WD TV Remote is available in multiple languages, including English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Russian, and Portuguese.
“WD TV personalises the entertainment experience for consumers better than any other digital media player,” said Chris Bull, director of marketing for WD’s Connected Home Solutions group. “Whether it is photos or movies on your PC, Mac®, tablet, smartphone, personal cloud drive such as the My Book® Live, or one of our exciting entertainment services such as VUDU, WD TV media players enable anyone in the family to easily enjoy a custom entertainment experience with their favourite movies, TV shows, music and photos.”
· VUDU – WD TV (USA only) customers now have access to VUDU’s large HD library of movies and TV titles instantly on their home entertainment systems. WD supports the HDX™ video format that features 1080p Full HD video and rich Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 audio, allowing users to enjoy a cinema-like experience at home with the hottest new releases available on-demand without any subscription fees or late fees. Upon VUDU registration on their device WD TV media player users will receive a $4.99 USD credit towards VUDU movie rentals, which are available to rent starting at just $2 USD for two nights.
· SnagFilms – Available world-wide, customers now have on-demand access to SnagFilms’ broad collection of full-length independent films, free of charge, in genres such as documentary, comedy, drama, family friendly and pop culture.
· XOS College Sports – Available world-wide, this free service offers the largest digital library of college sports video, including more than 75 years of current and classic college sports action.
· SEC Digital Network – Available world-wide, on demand access is available for current season and classic Southeastern Conference games, videos, interviews and more. This service includes more than 1,000 hours of original and exclusive video.
· Comedy Time – Available in the world-wide, this free service includes a broad library of short-form comedy video programming.
· Watch Mojo – Available world-wide, customers now have free access to Watch Mojo’s professionally-produced premium videos in categories such as Comedy, Education, Fashion, Food, Health & Fitness, Music, Politics, Technology and Video Games.
The VUDU, SnagFilms, XOS College Sports, SEC Digital Network, Comedy Time and Watch Mojo services are now available on WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub media players, which are available at select UK retailers and online at www.wdstore.co.uk starting at £99.99 MSRP.
WD TV Remote is currently available as a free download from the iTunes® Store and we anticipate will be available on the Android Market soon.