Last week AMD announced the launch of their latest processor, the Phenom II X6.
As you probably know here at UWHS we are all big fans of building our own machines, so this is something we are pretty excited about.
Here are the specs:
Processor : AMD Phenom™ II X6
Model : 1055T
OPN Tray : HDT55TFBK6DGR
OPN PIB : HDT55TFBGRBOX
Operating Mode 32 Bit : Yes
Operating Mode 64 Bit : Yes
Core Speed (MHz) : 2800
Max Temps (C)
Wattage : 125 W
Virtualization : Yes
L1 Cache Size (KB) : 128
L1 Cache Count : 6
L2 Cache Size (KB) : 512
L2 Cache Count : 6
L3 Cache Size (KB) : 6144
CMOS : 45nm SOI
Socket : AM3
Here is the full press release:
SUNNYVALE, Calif. —4/27/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced the immediate availability of the AMD Phenom™ II X6 processor and AMD 890FX chipset ushering in a new era of immersive 3D entertainment and visualization.
Trailblazing consumers seeking immersive 3D entertainment and high definition multi-monitor display now can affordably upgrade to six-core performance and award-winning ATI Radeon™ HD 5000 series graphics. Today also marks the availability of the flagship AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T Black Edition processor, AMD’s fastest and most tunable desktop processor ever.
“With AMD Phenom II X6 processors, discerning customers can build an incredible, immersive entertainment system and content creation powerhouse,” said Bob Grim, director of Client Platform Marketing at AMD. “AMD is answering the call for elite desktop PC performance and features at an affordable price.”
AMD Phenom II X6 processors feature new Turbo CORE technology that transfers performance to three dedicated cores operating at higher frequency. AMD Phenom II X6 processors can shift to Turbo mode for demanding games and productivity software which may employ two or three cores, or shift back to six real cores for the demands of core-hungry content creation and immersive 3D applications.
Systems based on the AMD Phenom II X6 processor and the AMD 8-series chipsets are immediately available in North America from BOXX, iBuyPower, CyberPower, Systemax, MainGear, NCS Technology, Velocity Micro, and ZT Systems. AMD Phenom II X6 processors and AMD 8-series chipsets are available on motherboard sold by online retailers NCIX, Newegg, TigerDirect, and ZipZoomFly.
- The AMD Phenom II X6 processor works with existing AM3 and AM2+ socket motherboards with proper BIOS support, making these processors an easy upgrade
- With the new AMD OverDrive™ 3.2.1, computer enthusiasts can tune system performance, customize settings, and tune memory performance for the latest AMD platforms with the new AMD Phenom II X6 processor1
- The AMD 890FX chipset is the premier complement to the AMD Phenom II X6 processor, featuring ATI CrossFireX™ technology, and is ready for up to four ATI Radeon HD graphics cards and award winning ATI EyeFinity multiple-display technology2
- All of the necessary components to build a complete AMD-based system featuring the AMD Phenom II X6 processor can be purchased for less than the price of our competition’s only six-core desktop processor3
- The AMD 890FX with SB850 chipset includes the latest SATA 6Gb/s hard drive interface, Gigabit Ethernet, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology, and PCI Express® Generation 2.0 designed to provide high performance data flow
- Many AMD 890FX-based motherboards feature SuperSpeed USB 3.0, quickly synchronizing and transferring digital media files on the new generation of USB 3.0 devices
The AMD 8-series chipsets look very interesting as well.
What do you think? Let us know.