Coming only a few days after the launch of the DiskStation DS410, Synology have announced the launch of the DX510 expansion solution for use with the DS1010+ and the DS710+.
Here is some information on the DX150 from the Synology website:
Synology DX510 delivers an effortless solution for volume expansion and data backup for selected Synology DiskStations. The DX510 smoothly scales the storage capacity of the Synology DiskStation by an additional 5 hard drives on the fly when firmly connected directly to the Synology DiskStation, ensuring a reliable expansion solution.
- Hot-swappable HDD design
- Managed from Synology DiskStation Manager 2.3
The Synology DX510 is connected to the Synology DiskStation using an eSATA cable with custom-designed connectors on both ends, ensuring a reliable connection and maximum throughput. The eSATA 3.0 Gb/sec definition allows the hard drives in the connected Synology DX510 to operate as they are the internal ones of the Synology DiskStation.
• Internal HDD: 5X 3.5″ SATA or 5X 2.5″ SATA
• eSATA port X 1
• Hot Swappable HDD: Yes
• Size (mm): 157 X 248 X 233
• System Fan?X 2(80x80mm)
• Noise Level (fan-only)?30dB(A)
• Power Recovery: sync with the connected Disk Station
• AC Input Power Voltage?100V ~ 240V AC
• Power Frequency?50 / 60Hz?Single Phase
• Operating Temperature?40 ~ 95°F (5 ~ 35°C)
• Storage Temperature?15 ~ 155°F (-10 ~ 70°C)
• Relative Humidity?5% ~ 95% RH
• Maximum Operating Altitude?10,000feet
For those of you who like to see what things look like from the side and back (that would be Diehard again!):
Check out the Synology website for more details: http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DX510/datasheet.php
Price wise, Amazon.com are showing the diskless variant at a little under $1000 with the fully populated 5TB version at $1759.99. Amazon.co.uk are showing the diskless one at around £420.
So if you have some need to expand your existing Synology NAS solution, and this supports it, you should take a look, but it isn’t cheap!