Here we review the Garmin vívofit jr. 3 Kids Fitness Tracker – Black Panther edition.
More than an Activity Tracker
- Tracks steps, sleep, and daily recommended activity minutes, shaping habits for lifelong health and fitness.
- Meeting daily activity goals unlocks new levels in the interactive Garmin Jr.TM mobile companion app2 with adventures that correspond with the band’s design.
- Downloadable time screens and an “in case of emergency” widget that displays contact information
- Timed activities let kids track steps and estimated distance during playtime, sports practice and more and view their activity later in the Garmin Jr. app.
- Encourages friendly, whole family competition with Toe-to-ToeTM step challenges.
- Kid-tough etched band available in both character-inspired designs and colorful Garmin designs.
- Swim-friendly with a battery life of up to one year, no recharging needed.
A Parental Personal Assistant
The vívofit jr. 3 is a valuable tool for parents with the Garmin Jr. app where parents with a compatible device can:
- View their child’s activity, sleep, chore data and more. A great way to tell whether to cut back on screen time, adjust bedtimes, balance responsibilities between siblings and more.
- Assign chores and schedule alerts which show up as icons on the display, letting kids who can’t read know what they need to be doing. These chores can be set up to recur weekly or daily to help kids learn about schedules and responsibility.
- Encourage good behaviour with virtual coins that can be redeemed by children for agreed-upon rewards.
- Parents can enable “Kid Mode” in the Garmin Jr. app to allow children limited access to monitor and check off their own chores and to view the latest mission in their app adventure.
Marvel Black Panther and Iron Man
With two different options, a black etched Black Panther design and a red etched Iron Man design, kids will find their power in style with a Marvel-themed vívofit jr. 3. Kids can choose from 22 different Avengers time screens to complete their look.
With an Iron Man or Black Panther band, kids progress in Infinity Saga: A Marvel Studios Adventure as they reach their daily 60-minute activity goals. With a parent as their helper, kids will unfold new adventures and relive the most exciting moments of the Infinity Saga alongside their favourite Marvel heroes. They’ll help the Avengers stop Loki’s destructive plans, save the world from Ultron and even travel through the quantum realm to take back the Infinity Stones and defeat Thanos. The more they meet their activity goals, the more of the story they’ll get to see and games they’ll get to play. Fitness Cards with coaching from their adventure companions teach kids basic exercise moves.
What’s in the box?
The box contains the fitness tracker and some instructions.
A Closer Look
There are three different ranges – the standard Garmin range, the Disney Princess range and the Marvel range. For this review we were sent the Black Panther tracker from the Marvel range.
The first thing you will notice is that the tracker is small – very small, but then it is aimed at ages 4 and up. Ok, I was a little disappointed that it wouldn’t fit me! You can change the wallpapers on the screen if you want to as well.
The screen itself is very small and in some situations can be difficult to view properly if not held at exactly the right angle. There is a backlight than can be activated for use in darker environments, however this can be quite fiddly at times.
Pressing the one button cycles through the various options, like step count, and if you hold it for a second it should activate the backlight, however if you hold it for more than a second it goes into bluetooth pairing mode and more than once this caused some frustration! Trying to explain to a 4 year old the difference between holding a tiny button for 1 second and not longer wasn’t fun!
The tracker doesn’t need to be charged as the battery lasts a year so you don’t need to worry about it not being charged when you need to use it.
Most of the chores that need to be done in order to earn rewards require the paired device (so an phone or tablet). You need to then go and follow the instructions in the app, but when you have completed the chore or the 60 minute daily activity, the adventure on the app is progressed. This can be a lot of fun as it makes the child want to do more in order to see how the adventure progresses.
As well as the chores and activities, you can just use it count steps and track general fitness, which can be fun when you are using you own device to do the same, now your child can copy you.
The device is also swim friendly so you can get it a little wet without fear of damage.
One of my favourite features on the tracker is the In Case of Emergency information screen. You can set up various contact details so that at the touch of the button it can be displayed and shown to someone.
This is a really great fitness tracker for small children, it makes them want to get involved and do tasks, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that its Marvel themed!
The Garmin vívofit jr. 3 Kids Fitness Tracker – Black Panther edition is available now priced around £79.99.