Nintendo Labo, a new line of interactive make, play and discover experience designed to inspire creative minds and playful hearts alike, available across Europe now.
Together with the Nintendo Switch, the Nintendo Labo kits provide the tools and technology to make fun DIY creations, play games with your creations, and discover how Nintendo Switch technology shapes ideas into reality.
With each Nintendo Labo kit, building and discovery are designed to be just as much fun as playing, which is why the experience is categorised into three key pillars: Make, Play and Discover:
- Make: Transform modular sheets of cardboard into interactive creations called Toy-Con – from a 13-key piano to a motorbike, a robot suit and more.
- Play: After they are built, combine the Toy-Con creations with the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers in creative ways to enjoy a variety of gameplay experiences.
- Discover: Learn how Nintendo Switch technology works together with each Toy-Con project. With Toy-Con Garage mode – a feature included with the software in each Nintendo Labo kit – you can design new ways to play with your Toy-Con projects, such as steering the RC Car with the Fishing Rod or using the Motorbike as an instrument. It’s even possible to invent your own Toy-Con creations using common materials from around the house. When you’re finished building, you can personalise your Toy-Con projects with your own stickers, markers and more.
“Our goal is to put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches,” said Satoru Shibata, Nintendo of Europe’s President. “Nintendo Labo invites anyone with a creative mind and a playful heart to make, play and discover in new ways with Nintendo Switch. I personally hope to see many people enjoying making kits with their family members, with big smiles on their faces.”
With Nintendo Labo, making and discovering is just as much fun as playing. Every Toy-Con creation presents exciting challenges and varying degrees of complexity, so each one is a unique experience. Making Toy-Con is especially fun with family and friends, as you collaborate and share each other’s Nintendo Labo experiences. Once built, those with a creative touch can customise their Toy-Con creations with their own colouring pens, stickers and paint to give them a personal feel – the only limit is their imagination. A special Customisation Set that includes fun stencils, stickers and coloured tape is also available to purchase.
Nintendo Labo is available as two kits: the Variety Kit and the Robot Kit. Both kits include everything you need to bring your Toy-Con to life, including the building materials and relevant Nintendo Switch software.
With the Variety Kit, you can create many different Toy-Con, including Toy-Con RC Car, Toy-Con Fishing Rod, Toy-Con House, Toy-Con Motorbike and Toy-Con Piano.
- Toy-Con RC Car: The RC Car is powered by vibrations in the Joy-Con controllers and can follow a path of reflective tape by using the IR motion camera in the right Joy-Con – it even works in the dark. Materials to build two RC Cars are included, so two players can race or battle each other.
- Toy-Con Fishing Rod: Build a working rod and reel, and then go fishing on the screen of your Nintendo Switch console to catch a variety of exotic fish. You can also enter Aquarium mode – accessed via Toy-Con Piano – to view all the fish you’ve caught or even design your own colourful fish.
- Toy-Con House: By inserting various assembled blocks into openings in the sides and bottom of the House, you can interact, feed and play games with a cute creature on the front-facing Nintendo Switch screen. Each differently shaped block is detected by the IR Motion Camera on the Right Joy-Con inserted on top of the House.
- Toy-Con Motorbike: Rev the throttle of your Motorbike by twisting the right handle, just like the real thing. You can even create and race on tracks you design.
- Toy-Con Piano: After assembling a beautifully crafted 13-key piano and inserting the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con, you can create your own music by pressing different keys. You can even insert different assembled knobs to create new sound effects and tones.
- Toy-Con Robot: Create a wearable robot suit, including a backpack and visor, which allows you to assume control of a huge on-screen robot. Smash buildings and UFOs in Robot Mode, make sound effects using your Toy-Con Robot in Robo Studio or customise your in-game robot in the Hangar. With an additional Nintendo Labo Robot Kit and set of Joy-Con, you can even battle against a friend in multiplayer mode using just one Nintendo Switch