Turtle Beach have released a brand new wireless headset for the Xbox One called the EAR FORCE Stealth 420X, and here is our review.
Welcome to the Ear Force Stealth 420X, an officially-licensed Xbox One gaming headset with the freedom of 100% fully wireless, crystal-clear game and chat audio. The Stealth 420X comes loaded with a suite of must-have features for every Xbox gamer, including Mic Monitoring, independent game and chat audio controls, four audio presets including Bass Boost, a rechargeable battery with up to 15 hours of wireless gaming life and mobile compatibility via mobile cable with in-line mic — all packed into an cutting-edge, affordable, simple-to-set-up fully wireless gaming headset.
The full list of features for the EAR FORCE Stealth 420X includes:
- 100% Fully Wireless – No wires anywhere. Experience crystal clear game and chat audio using the latest, intelligent channel-hopping technology for interference-free wireless gaming.
- Simple Setup – One simple-to-set-up USB connection to the Xbox One and players’ wireless gaming dreams come true.
- STOP SHOUTING! – Mic Monitoring lets players hear their own voice in the headset to avoid shouting.
- Game & Chat Volume Control – Independent game audio and chat audio controls allow players to tune the mix to their preference.
- Lightweight & Comfortable Headset Design – An updated over-ear headset design with supple, perforated synthetic leather-wrapped ear-cups provides superior comfort and improved bass response.
- Mic Check – A high-sensitivity, adjustable boom mic picks-up voice audio loud and clear. Remove the mic to enjoy mobile/tablet gaming, as well as listening to music and watching movies.
- 15 Hour Rechargeable Battery – A built-in rechargeable battery delivers up to 15 hours of wireless gaming.
- Audio Presets & Voice Prompts – Four Turtle Beach audio presets and audible voice prompts from the headset tell gamers what setting they’ve selected.
What’s in the Box?
The box contains the Stealth 420X, a USB wireless transmitter, some documentation, a detachable mic and some cables.
A Closer Look
The USB transmitter fits into one of the two USB ports on the Xbox One. There is a very small pinhole button on the side of the transmitter that is used to pair it with the headset.
The mic is completely detachable and can be positioned however you need it to be for comfort. There is a mic mute button on the headset but if you don’t need the mic during a game it’s just as easy to remove it as it is to mute it.
And here is a closer look at the headset itself.
Using the Headset
The removable mic fits into a small hole on the left hand side.
The right side has the power button, battery LED, volume controls for both the game and chat, the EQ Preset button, a USB charging port, mobile connection and a mic mute button.
Charging the Headset
Charging the headset is as easy as plugging it into your Xbox One – the moment you do you hear an electronic voice telling you the headset is charging and the Turtle Beach logo on each side of the headset glows red.
Once the headset is fully charged, its time to connected the wireless transmitter to your Xbox One and to pair it with the headset. Out of the box the headset and the transmitter should already be paired, however if this is not the case it’s a very straightforward task and just requires you to press the pinhole button (you will need a paperclip) and then press and hold the power button on the headset – and that’s it. When you first plug in the transmitter your Xbox One should pop up a “toast” message saying Headset Assigned. Now you are ready to use it.
All of the controls on the headset are easy to use when you are wearing it so there’s no need to take off the headset to make changes.
One of the nice things on the headset is that you are told via an electronic voice various things, such as the charging starting or powering on the headset, and also which EQ Preset you have enabled. This makes is very easy to know what is being used at any particular time.
The headset itself is very comfortable to wear – even for extended periods of time, with the ear cups and the headband having breathable fabric.
The sound quality from the headset was very good – with the four different EQ settings (Natural, Bass Boost, Bass + Treble Boost and Vocal Boost) making a difference depending on what type of game you are playing. And changing the EQ Preset is just a case of pressing the button, and you can do that mid game if you want to.
The Mic Monitoring function is pretty useful – you can hear yourself so that you don’t end up shouting, which can be a very common problem!
The headset can also be used with a mobile device – to do this use just need to connect up the mobile device with the headset using the supplied cable. The cable also has a set of controls on it as well to make life easier for you.
Turtle Beach advertise up to 15 hours of battery from a single charge and they are not wrong – so even with a very heavy gaming session the batteries should last. They are not removable though so make sure you plug the headset in to recharge when you are not using it.
If you are looking for a comfortable, great quality wireless headset for use with your Xbox One then you should take a long look at the EAR FORCE Stealth 420X – it may just be the one for you.
The Turtle Beach EAR FORCE Stealth 420X wireless headset retails for £149.99 and is available now.