Do you want a USB 3.0 desktop drive that looks great? Well, take a look at our review of the Iomega Prestige USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive and see if it fits the bill.
The Iomega® Prestige™ Desktop Hard Drive USB 3.0 is a fast and affordable solution for all your storage needs. Ideal for adding capacity to your system, this stylish drive offers a sturdy metal construction and included stand. It’s the easiest way to save photos, music, videos and more! AES 256-bit hardware encryption is built-in to secure your data at home, in the office or at school. Iomega Protection Suite is included with solutions to easily backup your data and protect your computer and online experience. Software available via download. A 3-year limited warranty is included with product registration.
Who Are Iomega?
From their website:
Iomega Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of EMC Corporation headquartered in San Diego, is a worldwide leader in innovative storage and network security solutions for small businesses, home offices, consumers and others. The Company has sold more than 410 million digital storage drives and disks since its inception in 1980. Today, Iomega’s product portfolio includes industry leading network attached storage products, external hard drives, multimedia drives, and our award-winning removable storage technology, the REV® Backup Drive.
- Fast — Transfer files faster than ever before (requires USB 3.0 computer for best performance)
- Stylish & Durable — Compact and in a black brushed finish; sturdy metal construction that includes stand
- Secure — Iomega Protection Suite Software included at no additional charge (via download)
- Encyrption — AES 256-bit hardware encryption is built-in to secure your data at home, in the office or at school
- Warranty — 3 year limited warranty with product registration
- USB 3.0: up to 5Gbits/s
- Preformatted NTFS
- 8MB or higher Cache Buffer
- Three year limited warranty with product registration
What You Need:
- Built-in USB connection
- Requires USB 3.0 port or ExpressCard™ or PCIe slot for best performance
- Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional / Windows Vista™ / XP Home / XP Professional / Windows 7
- 256MB RAM or more as required by operating system
- Mac OS X 10.4 – 10.6 or higher
- USB 2.0 speeds apply
- Must be reformatted for use with Mac
- 128MB Ram or higher as required by operating system
To View User’s Manual:
Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6.0, Firefox® 1.0, Apple Safari 1.2 or higher browser
Dimensions (L x W x H):
7.41 L x 4.88 W x 1.24 H
What’s in the Box?
Along with the drive itself, there is a power supply, with two changeable pins connectors, a USB 3.0 cable, a manual and a stand for the drive.
A Closer Look
Using the Drive
Connecting the drive was simple – either connect it to a USB 3.0 port or if you don’t have one, a USB 2.0 port will do, but will obviously run at a reduced speed.
Windows finds the drive without issue.
And shows how much free space you have available.
Here are the specifics for the drive:
USB 3.0 Connected
The drive is designed for connecting to a USB 3.0 port. The average Read speed test results were 98.3 MB/s.
The average Write speed test results were 89.7 MB/s.
USB 2.0 Connected
Connecting it up via USB 2.0, the average Read speed test results were 31.8 MB/s.
The average Write speed test results were 28.1 MB/s.
The Prestige Desktop drive comes as either a 1TB drive or a 2TB. For this review we had the 1TB drive.
As you can see from the above speed tests, USB 3.0 results in around 3 times faster read and write access to the drive, so make sure you hook it up to a USB 3.0 port. If you don’t have one, look at investing in either a USB 3.0 PCIe card or an ExpressCard for a laptop.
The drive itself looks very good – it has a very sleek finish and looks great sitting on its little stand on your desk.
During the testing I did notice a little bit of noise coming from the drive, but nothing that would cause you any concern.
All in all I liked this drive – certainly worth taking a look at if you want something that looks great and is USB 3.0 compatible.
Price wise, the 1TB is around £81 and the 2TB around £116, but as usual, have a look around to find the best deal. Certainly our advice would be to go for the 2TB version.Learn more from the Iomega website