Solid State Drives (SSDs) are becoming cheaper and faster. At CES I saw the Samsung 470 Series SSD, and now we have one for review, so read on.
Here is how Samsung describe the 470 Series SSDs:
- Extremely Fast Performance
- Spend more time doing and less time waiting. Samsung Solid State Drives access data a lot faster than standard hard drives. This means less time for a computer to boot up or programs to launch. Data is available much quicker and overall response time is significantly improved. Samsung SSD drives have industry-leading performance of up to 250MB/sec sequential read speed and 220MB/sec sequential write speed which leads to computers booting up in as little as 15 seconds and programs opening up in seconds.
- Distinctive Brushed Metal Design
- Samsung’s Solid State Drive design has a look to match its performance. The sturdy brushed metal hard shell case protects from shock, dust and corrosion. Since there are no moving parts inside the drive, there is a greater reliability to protect data. And with a light 2.4oz weight, it makes laptops lighter to carry.
- Outstanding Efficiency
- A Samsung SSD drive has no moving parts so it uses two-thirds less power than a typical hard drive. This adds an average of 30 minutes to a laptop’s battery or decreases the amount of electricity needed to run a hard drive on a desktop computer.
There are three variants of the 470 Series SSDs – a 64GB, 128GB and a 256GB, For this review we had the 128GB model.
- 2.5″ Form Factor
- Up to 220MB/s Write Speed
- Up to 250MB/s Read Speed
- Up to 3Gbps Data Transfer Rate
- Active Power Use: 0.24W
- Idle Power Use: 0.14W
- Reliability (Hours): 1.5 Million
- Three Year Warranty
What’s in the Box?
Apart from the Series 470 SSD itself, there is a manual and a card.
Using the SSD with Windows 7
Running the Windows Experience Index provided a 7.7 for the primary hard disk, which was great!
Here are the results of the Read test:
And here are the results of the Write test:
I think you will agree they are some pretty impressive results.
Samsung SSD Magician Software
Samsung provide, via download, some software known as the Samsung SSD Magician software.
This software enables you to run tests on the drive, perform firmware updates and optimization, and more.
Just visit the Samsung website to download it.
Installation is very simple, just following the steps in the wizard:
Then you can run the software:
You can choose from a number of different options once the software starts:
You can see System Information, which includes firmware details and size information:
You can run Performance Benchmarks, but heed the warnings:
Then see the results:
You can perform optimization on the drive:
And see the results:
Choosing to update the firmware provides a warning you should heed:
The last tab is called Site Link, which will include news and events, but for now is coming soon.
What can I say, this drive is brilliant and I can’t recommend it enough!
It looks really good (which is an odd thing to say about a drive, considering it will be in your computer and you will never see it).
It is very fast as you can see from the speed tests and the Windows Experience Index results above.
Price wise, the 64GB retails at $129.99, the 128GB at $259.99 and the 256GB at $519.99.
If you are thinking of jumping into the world of SSDs, you should certainly take a look at the Samsung Series 470 SSDs.You can learn more about the Samsung Series 470 SSDs here