In another of our How To…. series we look at how to install and configure v3.01 of DVBLink Server Network Pack.
We recently published the How To article on DVBLink Server and TVSource: http://moviesgamesandtech.com/2010/06/22/how-to-install-and-configure-dvblink-server-and-tvsource-v3-01/ and now it’s the next step – the Server Network Pack.
Here is how DVBLink describe Server Network Pack:
DVBLink Server Network Pack lets you enjoy your favorite TV channels throughout your whole house – in Windows MediaCenter, running on network computers, on UPNP enabled clients such as Sony PlayStation3, on nettops and laptops, running Windows 7 and on XBox 360 – and over the Internet using web browsers.
At the time of writing this article, the latest version of both Server and TVSource was v3.01 but check as these are often updated.
You can check for the latest version here: http://www.dvblogic.com/netpack.php
And even better is that you can get a fully functional 20 day trial download as well!
- Windows XP with SP2 or higher (32 and 64 bit)
- Installed and configured DVBLink source product (DVBLink TVSource, DVBLink for Dreambox or DVBLink for IPTV)
Supported clients for LAN streaming:
- Windows Vista with TV Pack or Windows 7 MediaCenter
- Windows MediaPlayer 12 as UPNP client
- Hardware and software UPNP clients (Sony Playstation 3, Power DVD 9, Nero ShowTime 4, Western Digital LIve! network player and others)
Supported clients for Web streaming:
- Computer running Windows XP or higher
- Web browser: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera
- HD and SD channel streaming
- UDP unicast and RTP multicast streaming protocol support
- Easy setup for network Mediacenter clients
- Zero configuration for UPNP clients
- Transcoded Windows Media streaming to web browsers with four different quality settings
Some additional information on the settings and available options can be found in the Installation and Configuration Manual PDF available for download on the DVBLogic website.
INSTALLING DVBLINK NETWORK PACK
First thing to remember is that the Network Pack must be installed on the same computer that you already installed the DVBLink Server software to.
Just run the DVBLinkNetworkPack.msi file and follow the onscreen prompts.
And that is it for this part – you don’t even need to do a reboot (but you can if you really want to).
DVBLogic also give advice on whether to change from UDP unicast to RDP multlicast:
If you are using DVBLink Server Network Pack with wireless and/or heavy loaded network you may experience viewing artifacts on network computers like picture break-ups and stuttering. If this is the case you can switch network streaming protocol from UDP unicast, which is used by default, to RTP multicast. The latter is better suited for difficult network environments.
If you want to make that change, just fire up the Network Pack Configuration tool and change the protocol.